Position: Bar Back
Restaurant: Buena Vida Clarendon
Address: 2900 Wilson Blvd; Arlington; Virginia
We are looking for an observant, efficient BarBack who can work with other staff members to ensure that our customers receive prompt, seamless service. The Bar Back will assist in cleaning the bar, preparing garnishes, ensuring the bar is well stocked with napkins, straws, glassware, garnishes, and all other necessities, and taking on other duties to support the Bartender and ensure that the bar operates smoothly. You should be knowledgeable about menu items, attentive, and focused on providing the best possible service in a fast-paced environment.
To be a successful Bar Back, you should be passionate about working as part of a team to deliver excellent drinks and service to customers. You should be efficient, reliable, and perceptive with excellent communication and time management skills.
- Assisting with opening and closing duties, such restocking the bar with garnishes, straws, and napkins, ensuring that Bartenders have clean towels, glassware, etc.
- Ensuring bar is well-stocked with ice, liquor, wine, and beer.
- Checking taps and appliances to confirm that they are working properly, making minor repairs or changing out kegs, if needed.
- Keeping the bar clean by wiping down surfaces, sweeping and mopping, removing soiled glassware, scrubbing coolers and storage areas, and emptying trash receptacles.
- Learning about menu items and memorizing cocktail recipes.
- Taking orders, preparing drinks, bussing tables, opening tabs, and processing payments especially during peak hours.
- Speaking to customers, answering questions, handling complaints.
- Maintain records and report levels of usage to assist in reordering process and ensuring that delivered items are stored properly.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- More experience, education, training, or certifications may be preferred.
- Minimum age to serve alcohol.
- Courteous, friendly personality and professional appearance.
- Knowledge of menu items, including beers, wines, cocktails, and liquors.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Strong problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills, ability to handle tense situations with coworkers and customers calmly and rationally.
- Observant and thorough.
- Responsible, punctual.
- Ability to meet physical and scheduling demands of the position, including, walking, standing, or lifting heavy items for extended periods and working nights, weekends, and holidays.